Temmuz 30th, 2019,
Practical Leek & potato soup, Easy Practical Leek & potato soup, Practical Leek & potato soup
PREP: 20 MINS COOK: 25 MINS EASY SERVES 6 – 8
- 50g butter
- 450g potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm pieces (try Golden Wonders or Kerr Pinks)
- 1 small onion, cut the same size as the potatoes
- 450g white parts of leeks, sliced (save the green tops for another soup or stock)
- 850ml-1.2litres/1½-2pts light chickenor vegetable stock
- 142ml carton whipping cream
- 125ml full-fat milk
- the white part of 1 leek
- a small knob of butter
- finely chopped chives
- Melt 50g butter in a heavy saucepan. When it foams, add 450g potatoes, cut into 1cm cubes, 1 small onion, cut the same as the potatoes, and 450g white parts of leeks, sliced and toss them in the butter until they are well coated.
- Season well with salt and freshly ground pepper and toss again. Put a disc of greaseproof paper (called a cartouche by chefs) on top of the vegetables to keep in the steam), then cover the pan with its lid.
- Cook over a gentle heat for 10 mins, or until the vegetables are soft but not coloured.
- Uncover the pan and discard the paper. Pour in 850ml of the light chicken or vegetable stock, bring to the boil and simmer until the vegetables are just cooked – about 5 minutes. Do not overcook or the soup will lose its fresh flavour.
- Purée in a blender until silky smooth, in batches if necessary, then taste and adjust the seasoning. Return the soup to a clean pan and stir in three quarters of a 142ml carton of whipping cream and 125ml full-fat milk.
- To finish the soup, finely shred the white part of 1 leek and gently cook it in a small knob of hot butter for a few mins until it is softened but not coloured.